Re: Squeeze NetInstal broke on Ethernet controller detection

On 26/09/10 22:57, Willy Lambert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new with using community supports so please be patient and
> let me learn if something is wrong. Be sure that I search a week on the
> net to find a solution. I'm desesperated :)
>
> *
> *
>
> *summary :*
>
> I am trying to install a Debian "Squeeze" distribution with a netinstall
> on a CD media but the installation failed when detected the ethernet
> card (despite it should work with the e1000e driver which is included in
> Debian). It tried to go further without LAN, but seems to be an infite
> chain of problems : if I want to compile the driver I need to "apt-get"
> build tools for which I need Internet... So my strategy is to make the
> installer working.
>

> *hardware :*
>
> The target is an Advantech PCM-3362 card (quite the same content as a
> netbook without the wifi in a PC104 size)
> http://www.advantech.com.tw/products/PCM-3362/mod_2B69DA4C-D506-4AEA-8CC3-F6E58E3CBC87.aspx
> the aim is to embedded it in a mobile robot.
>
> Its Ethernet controller is an Intel 82567V, which should be working with
> an e1000e driver
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&ProdId=3003&lang=eng
> <http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&ProdId=3003&lang=eng>
> You can find here a detailed article about the Advantech board, in
> particular its bus and component architecture at the end :
> http://ruggedpcreview.com/3_components_advantech_pcm3362.html
>
> lspci shows :
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82567V-3 Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 04)
> 00.1e.0 PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f4)
> and other things
>

> *details :*
>
> The installer broke when detecting the ethernet controller. I have a
> menu in which I can choose "e1000e" (and also "e100" "e1000"). when I
> choose it, the screen became blue, things happens (see below) and then
> the menu is back again as if it has not found my controller
>
> In the the fourth console (ctrl+f4=installer log) I can read after
> hiting "e1000e" in the menu when "things happens":
> _ ${date} kernel [$[time]] e1000e : Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
> -0.3.3.4-k4
> _ ${date} kernel [$[time]] e1000e : Copyrigth (c) 1999-20008 Intel
> Corporation
> _ ethdetect : insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.30-2-484/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko
>
> when I test in the installer console (ctrl+f2 or ctrl+f3) lsmod, I found
> the e1000e module (it was not here before I choose it in the ethernet
> detection menu). So everything seems to be correct.
>
> I used an i386 version of debian whereas my CPU is an Atom 64b, I don't
> know if this is problematic
>

> *help :*

> [...]

Are you sure about your CPU?
I make it as an Atom N450:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Atom_n450&redirect=no
in which case you "might" get more mileage with amd64....

Appears that some parts of the board are non-standard:-
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-i2c/msg03462.html

I could tell you more about the nic if I could just get the *&&^%$!
website to let me download the driver :-X
You might fare better than I:-
http://support.advantech.com.tw/support/DownloadSRDetail.aspx?SR_ID=1-EO41P3&Doc_Source=Download

Cheers

--
There is no path to where no others have gone