Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:57:25 +0200
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Try reinstalling your kernel, or if you compiled your own, install a
> recent linux-image-2.6.32.5 from Sid. The postinstall script will
> point /etc/fstab and lilo.conf to the newer UUID references and then
> it should play.

I'll give it a try,but I'm not clear on what the UUID reference has to
do with anything.  it boots fine with root=/dev/sda2 and my fstab is
consistent, i.e. uses device designation and _not_ UUIDs.

> The postinstall for home-brew kernels does not do this for you, I'm
> afraid and I was dead in the water for a few weeks till I installed
> the stock image.

I'm running a stock kernel.

However it's certainly worth a try to see if it fixes it.

I'm following Steve Powell's excellent kernel guide:

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

and I'm fairly certain I've done everything correctly.

The real question here is: what tells lilo what the root device is ??
The lilo.conf file is correct.  Is there something in one of the .map
files are some other auxiliary file screwing things up ?

Brian