mrtg does not change mtime (was: Lenny: howto install other packages then the default ones ???)

Hi,

Well, the "package upgrade" worked like a charm; but the problem itself is not gone.

It's very strange.

We are using this server for mrtg, which creates .rrd files in the background.

The first time we run mrtg with a new configuration-file, it creates the .rrd file correctly.

So far, so good.

However, when we run mrtg a second time, the file is not changed. At least, that how it looks. A "stat" and 'ls-' says that the "mtime" and "ctime" of the file has not changed. However, when we loook inside the .rrd file (rrdtool dump ...) and look at the "last changed" information; that does is changed.
And also the new data in inserted into the rrd database.

When we try it with other applications (like "echo" or "vi") we do not have this problem.

Now, for us, it is a real problem as we also have some scripts that do a "cleanup" from time to time (i.e. remove all .rrd files that have not changed in the last 2 months using a "find") and all these scripts no will fail.

Very strange!!!
:-(

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.