From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:04:21
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: OpenIPMI in Lenny is mysterious to me.

On 22/09/10 18:54, Dan Serban wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am admittedly hopelessly noob with IPMI, though I don't think I'm too
> noob with Linux in general, I apologise if any of my questions are
> elementary.  I've googled this ad nauseum so I've come here for some
> help with this.
>
> After installing ipmitool and openipmi in Lenny I am faced with a
> perplexing issue.  From the get-go, I could not achieve the results I
> was seeking.
> Time to start ipmi:
>
> # modprobe -a ipmi-si ipmi-devintf
>
> which results with the following STDERR:
>
> WARNING: Error inserting ipmi_devintf
> (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_devintf.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> Then, in dmesg I see this:
>
> [1012115.045436] ipmi message handler version 39.2
> [1012115.048311] IPMI System Interface driver.
> [1012115.048315] ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at
> i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
> [1012115.227703] ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000157,  prod_id:
> 0x003e, dev_id: 0x21)
> [1012115.227703] IPMI kcs interface initialized
> [1012115.235704] ipmi_devintf: Unknown symbol compat_alloc_user_space
>
> # lsmod|grep ipmi returns:
>
> ipmi_si                43628  0
> ipmi_msghandler        38520  1 ipmi_si
>
> It looks like ipmi_devintf doesn't get loaded and from what I've seen in
> the scarce examples that I've found, it should be loaded in order for
> IPMI to function, as it creates the related device under /dev.
>
> Running ipmitool to test functionality returns this:
>
> # ipmitool sdr
> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
> such file or directory
> Get Device ID command failed
> Unable to open SDR for reading
>
> At this point, I sit confused, as the documentation is sparse and I'm
> unsure if this is a problem with hardware detection that the module is
> attempting to run the ipmi layer on or if there is a problem with the
> kernel in Lenny.  Though, I'm surprised that the keywords "debian ipmi"
> and "lenny ipmi" returns almost nothing useful or relevant in google.
>
> Oh I suppose I should shoot out some facts:
>
> Running Debian Lenny amd64, on an Intel S5520HCR motherboard.
>
> If anyone has any experience with ipmi, I would certainly appreciate
> some feedback.
>
> TIA.

No recent experience - and none configuring or installing it (IBM
in-house system) - so if that doesn't qualify, read no further.

My first thought would be to try load the modules separately:-
#modprobe ipmi-si
#dmesg | tail
#modprobe ipmi-devintf
etc.. for more clues
also try the same approach with the --show-depends or -f if you're game.

Have you been through the IBM documentation?

I'm presuming you've been through the projects bug tracker
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416298)
and support requests for clues (also see their forums)
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=36127&atid=416299)

By sparse documentation are you referring to the man or the projects
pdf?  IBM have/had a lot of documentation - don't know how much is
available online (I don't have Red Book access here).

Cheers

--
*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*