Re: wireless quits every few hours

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM, John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
>>> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.
>>
>> After doing the ifup thing, run the following command (as root) and see if
>> it helps.
>>
>> # /etc/init.d/networking restart
>>

> Ok, I can confirm when I boot up and things are working, ifdown eth1
> shuts wireless, ifup1 starts up, and the /etc/init.d/networking
> restart does restart
>
> Ok, more clues.  I say that it "restarts" because the "network
> monitor" popup shows and does the "ding" thing.  But I _think_ in
> fact, the network was killed by trying to restart.
>
> I saved the terminal output and rebooted.  Here's what it said:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>    SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
>  * Starting portmap daemon...
>  * Already running.
>   ...done.
>  * Starting NFS common utilities
>   ...done.
> root@thinkpad:/home/john# /etc/init.d/networking restart
>  * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
>  Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>    SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
>  * Starting portmap daemon...
>  * Already running.
>   ...done.
>  * Starting NFS common utilities
>   ...done.
>
> THEREFORE, one might guess, during reboot it does NOT try to set bit
> rate with the bad argument, but on a CL restart, it does try to set
> bit rate and that's what makes it fail.
>
> If so, which startup file needs the surgery?  Or am I totally on the
> wrong track?
>
> John

Ok, forget about all of that.  I can ifdown and ifup and networking
restart and even networking force-reload, and I always get that error
message BUT the network always starts up instantly.  I guess the
failure I had above was just a coincidence.

I think it will actually have to wait until it crashes by itself.

John