wireless quits every few hours

I writing this on Windows XP (yuck) because rebooting my linux system
every few hours is driving me crazy.  On Windows, it will run for
days.  So I think hardware is probably not the problem.

Hardware: IBM T30 laptop with internal Cisco Airo type of wireless
card.  In other words, support is built into the kernel.

O/S is Mepis 8, which is Debian Lenny, more or less.  Encryption is WEP

What happens is that wireless will die randomly after a few hours.

Mepis has a nice network wizard, but using it to restart the network
won't fix things.  ifdown eth1  followed by ifup eth1 won't fix it
either.  I must reboot the machine, but that works every time.

So, question 1, what happens during reboot, that doesn't happen during
ifdown/ ifup

Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.

If I can get that far, I can start worrying about what is actually
causing the problem, but I would like to be able to restart without
rebooting.  Any hints?  Thanks.

John