Re: wireless quits every few hours

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Or, putting it another way, what can I type from the command line to
>> do the same network restart as if I was rebooting.
>
> After doing the ifup thing, run the following command (as root) and see if
> it helps.
>
> # /etc/init.d/networking restart

Ok, I can confirm when I boot up and things are working, ifdown eth1
shuts wireless, ifup1 starts up, and the /etc/init.d/networking
restart does restart

Ok, more clues.  I say that it "restarts" because the "network
monitor" popup shows and does the "ding" thing.  But I _think_ in
fact, the network was killed by trying to restart.

I saved the terminal output and rebooted.  Here's what it said:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
 * Starting portmap daemon...
 * Already running.
   ...done.
 * Starting NFS common utilities
   ...done.
root@thinkpad:/home/john# /etc/init.d/networking restart
 * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
  Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
 * Starting portmap daemon...
 * Already running.
   ...done.
 * Starting NFS common utilities
   ...done.

THEREFORE, one might guess, during reboot it does NOT try to set bit
rate with the bad argument, but on a CL restart, it does try to set
bit rate and that's what makes it fail.

If so, which startup file needs the surgery?  Or am I totally on the
wrong track?

John