Re: Does the HDCP crack have any implications for Debian?

 On 18/09/10 07:12, Mark Allums wrote:
> The master key to HDCP was leaked and it has been reported that it is
> legitimate, meaning it is now possible to crack Blu-Ray.
>
> I'm not interested in that, but I wondered if that meant that we would
> eventually be able to play Blu-Ray on Debian machines.  Do you suppose
> we will see Blu-Ray support in VLC anytime soon?

The key is legitimate (confirmed by Intel)  - what has been misreported
is that the key is used for encrypting the contents of the disk... the
disks are encrypted using AACS,  it's the stream from the player to the
screen that is encrypted with HDCP.
The key (I want it printed on a bedsheet) is most likely to turn up in a
FPGA board, to be used by people wanting to rip the stream (need fast
RAID and a few TB of space).

So - sorry no relationship between the stream encypting key and the
ability to read the disk. The x264 encoder is more efficient than h264,
so the current method of ripping (lossy) still produces a better picture
quality than the "legal" releases.
Note: HDCP is what decides whether your monitor is allowed to display
the stream.
Hint: copy the disk to hdd and HDCP is removed from the equation.

for your edification:-
a forty times forty element matrix of fifty-six bit
hexadecimal numbers.

To generate a source key, take a forty-bit number that (in
binary) consists of twenty ones and twenty zeroes; this is
the source KSV. Add together those twenty rows of the matrix
that correspond to the ones in the KSV (with the lowest bit
in the KSV corresponding to the first row), taking all elements
modulo two to the power of fifty-six; this is the source
private key.

To generate a sink key, do the same, but with the transposed
matrix. <snip>big table</snip>

Cheers