Re: Does the HDCP crack have any implications for Debian?

On 9/17/2010 4:33 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:12:47PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
The master key to HDCP was leaked and it has been reported that it
is legitimate, meaning it is now possible to crack Blu-Ray.

I'm not interested in that, but I wondered if that meant that we
would eventually be able to play Blu-Ray on Debian machines.  Do you
suppose we will see Blu-Ray support in VLC anytime soon?

I would count on it. As much as libdecss is a part of the GNU/Linux
ecosystem, I would expect libdehdcp, or similar to become a part of
the same. That is, if Blu-ray is here to stay.

As was pointed out by Angus Hedger, I realized that HDCP =/= Blu-Ray. The hope of some is that having the one will help with the other. The success of Blu-Ray's encryption is in part because they can revoke keys and add new ones. Newer movie releases use the new keys. In some instances, older players will fail to play new movies without a firmware update. (There are other reasons for this, like new codecs and new disc menus and other things.)

Still, we can hope.