Re: My lenny picks the wrong resolution whereas squeeze is right

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:49:21 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:55:38 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> if you'd
>> like to avoid using a custom mode line, please post the entire
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, along with its corresponding
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and I'll see if I can figure out what needs to
>> be changed to get it to work with a standard mode.  If you could post
>> your Squeeze output using the same hardware, that would also be good for
>> comparison purposes.
>
> By all means. Thank you for being such persistent (I knew it was you who
> help solved the problem quoted in my OP). Here they are:
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> http://paste.debian.net/90057/
>
> Worked xog log:
> http://paste.debian.net/90058/
>
> Not working one:
> http://paste.debian.net/90059/
>
> Squeeze output:
> http://paste.debian.net/90060/
>>
>> By the way, what kind of monitor are you using?  Is it a CRT or a flat
>> screen panel?  Are you using analog output (VGA) or digital (DVI)?
>
> 17" LCD, normal, not wide-screen, using analog output (VGA).

OK, I have looked at your files.  The key to Lenny is right here:

   (--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1152x864 (pitch 1152)

The X server picked 1152x864 as the virtual desktop size for some reason.
The corresponding message for Squeeze is

   (--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)

Which is the desired behavior.

The question is, "Why did Lenny pick 1152x864 as the virtual desktop size,
while Squeeze picked 1280x1024?"  And I don't know the answer.  At least
not yet.  But that is the problem.  Because it picked the wrong virtual
desktop size, it rejected all the 1280x1024 video modes with

   (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
   (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
   (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
   (II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
   (II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)

The double hyphen in parentheses preceding the message text indicates that
the value was "probed".

The algorithm used to determine the virtual desktop size "should" be as follows
(assuming a single monitor):

(1) If the virtual desktop size is explicitly specified in the Display subsection
    of the Screen section, then the specified value is used.  For example:

       Virtual 1280 1024

    The virtual desktop size is explicitly specified as 1280x1024.

(2) If the virtual desktop size is not explicitly specified, then the largest x
    value and the largest y value needed for any of the modes specified in the
    "Modes" line are used.  For example:

       Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

    The largest x value is 1280 and the largest y value is 1024.  Therefore, the
    virtual desktop size is 1280x1024.

What I would try first is commenting out the "Modeline" statement in the
version of /etc/X11/xorg.conf that you posted and leave everything else
exactly the same.  In particular, leave the "Modes" statement in the
Display subsection of the Screen section alone.  Specifying "1280x1024"
as the first mode listed in the "Modes" statement should be sufficient.
If it doesn't work, try explicitly specifying a "Virtual" statement immediately
above the "Modes" statement as follows:

       Virtual 1280 1024

If that doesn't work either, then there's certainly a bug in the X server.
Be glad that you found a work-around.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :