monitor size not supported?

I just got a new lcd monitor that seems to be working fine but there is
one slight problem.

The monitor is an LG W2040T with 1600x900 resolution so I added
"1600x900" to the Modes line of the Display SubSection. When X starts I
get a message from the monitor that the optimum resolution is 1600x900.
X is setting the screen size to 1280x1024.

This difference results in circular objects being more oval than
circular. I can live with this as I do little graphics work but I'm
wondering if there's something I can change to get my circles to be
circles.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log has the line:

(II) CHROME(0): Not using mode "1600x900" (no mode of this name)

I'm using the openchrome driver since I have a KM400 motherboard which
has the VIA chipset.

Did I get the wrong monitor?

--
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
 imagined." -- Henry David Thoreau