Re: Simplest and cheapest RAID

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 16:14 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How practical is to create a simplest and cheapest RAID, using 2
> partitions on the same disk, combining them as a RAID drive?

It is not practical at all since if you loose the drive, you loose both
partition, thus defeating the purpose (0ne of them) of RAID.

> By "practical" I meant,
>
> - I would assume less than 0.000001% people would do that so I can't find
> any documents.
>
> - Having 2 partitions might not give me much advantage in safety, so the
> pay off is pity comparing to the hoops that I need to jump through.
>
> As you can see, I'm still "scared" about this "complicated" RAID thing.
>
> Any comments or inputs?

Having said that, it is trivial to use mdadmin to set up a raid device
of partitions on one HD.  You will get a speed penalty as you are trying
to access one HD multiple times to write data or read data, but you can
do it as a training exercise to get to know the mdadmin commands.  See
here:  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html#toc6

Then, when you understand how raid works, you can take a look here:
http://wiki.tldp.org/LVM-on-RAID and figure out how to set up mdadmin to
run software raid (say 1) on which you then run lvm.  The purpose?  You
can add volumes to your lvm as needed, grow the fs hot and you would
need to loose several HDs before you lost your lvm.

HTH

--
Damon
damon@damtek.com