Re: Simplest and cheapest RAID

On 9/16/2010 5:57 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
On Thursday 16 September 2010 08:14:53 T o n g wrote:
Hi,

How practical is to create a simplest and cheapest RAID, using 2
partitions on the same disk, combining them as a RAID drive?

By "practical" I meant,

- I would assume less than 0.000001% people would do that so I can't find
any documents.

- Having 2 partitions might not give me much advantage in safety, so the
pay off is pity comparing to the hoops that I need to jump through.

As you can see, I'm still "scared" about this "complicated" RAID thing.

Any comments or inputs?

One aspect of raid is for drive failure protection, not partition protection.
IMHO., the more spindles the better , even without using raid.

Agreed.  Drives are so cheap nowadays that a real RAID is affordable to
just about anybody.  Even if it had to be an external USB version.
(Says the man who isn't running one.  But I do have a backup system.)
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley