Re: new squeeze

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I *know* that the *presumption* is that someone installing Debian has
>>> read the fine manual before attempting an install :-)
>>> Please don't try and correlate Ubuntu installs with Debian.
>> I'm not confused and I'm not the one suggesting that d-i to adopt
>> ubiquity's "much saner" (someone else's words not mine) defaults.
>> d-i's current default is just fine with me.
>
> Correcting your wording - not your opinion :-)   Assume==guess
> Presume==based on smidgen of evidence (at least)

Thanks for the "presumption" correction. You're right. I thought "this
is wrong" when I typed "assumption" but didn't want to pause and think
about it and you did more than correct my English usage in your
response but it's not worth going over...

> Hand-holding installations have been discussed to death - the general
> consensus seems to be if you want hand-holding use one of the "less
> pure" Debians (Ubuntu et al).
> If you want choice use the Debian installer - it may wipe an already
> installed OS, it may refuse to boot if you insist on a XFS boot
> partition, but it won't happen if the install notes are read. Personally
> I'd like to see "expert" as the only install choice.
> If we wanted to do things the Ubuntu way we'd - be on the Ubuntu lists.

Perhaps the Debian Live CD does some hand-holding (I've never used it
so I don't know). If it does, you wouldn't need to go the Ubuntu, etc
way.

Having the expert install be the only option seems rather radical. For
example, I'm sure that my first Debian install would have stopped at
"choose installation modules" (or whatever the correct wording is)
with the thought "these Debian people are nuts!"...