Re: Squeeze. Failed to install bootloader in VirtualBox

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:05:58 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
>> (squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.
>
> Thanks for an idea. Tried both SGD and Debian Squeeze weekly build DVD-1
> 'Rescue Mode' with no success: apt-get reported there are no such files
> on the media. Actually they are in a proper place and sources.list is in
> order and contains that DVD as a valid repository.

Mmm, SDG does not works for you? That's weird :-?

What I made was downloading the ISO image from SDG site and configured
Virtualbox squeeze vm machine to boot from there. That way GRUB installed
just fine.

>> Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
>> time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
>> failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?
>
> Yes, I confirm that. Another way to won was to pre-partition a target
> drive by LiveCD before an actual install.
>
> Have no clue on next step anyway. Tried Squeeze netinstall image on the
> same VirtualBox, it is not booting even. How to install Squeeze??

Well, I think you can always install squeeze without a bootloader and
install it later (from SDG or from squeeze itself).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón