Re: Squeeze. Failed to install bootloader in VirtualBox

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:32:19 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> Here is a try to install Squeeze into Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6. Virtual
> drive is 8.0 GB persistent, RAM 768 Mb, a virtual drive was partitioned
> by Squeeze installer with default settings (/, swap; ext3). Everything
> is fine, except for bootloader. There is a failure during GRUB (GRUB2,
> lilo) installation process: "GRUB installation failed. The 'grub-pc'
> package failed to install into /target/."
>
> Also tried to partition a virtual hdd before Squeeze installation. No
> effect, bootloader installation failed also.
>
> Please, help to install a bootloader.

I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
(squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.

Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón