Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 05:05:11PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 September 2010 16:48:46 Bret Busby wrote:
> > Because the Debian people (I believe) omitted iceape and iceweasel from
> > Debian 5, I had to search, and installed the previous release packages.
>
> Iceweasel is there:
>
> lisi@Tux:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
> 5.0.6
> lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude show iceweasel
> Package: iceweasel
> State: installed
> [snip]
>
> But Iceape does indeed seem not be there in its entirety, only the development
> files:
>
> lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude search iceape
> p   iceape-dev                              - Development files for the Iceape
> Internet Suite
> p   iceape-dev-bin                          - Development files for the Iceape
> Internet Suite
> lisi@Tux:~$

Iceweasel, Icedove and Iceape, among many, many other packages, rely on
only a handful of core packages, notably xulrunner. The reason Iceape
didn't ship, is because it couldn't be built against the xulrunner
version that supported Iceweasel, Icedove, Epiphany and the others. That
is why for Squeeze, you won't be seeing the latest and greatest Icedove
and Iceweasel, because Iceape and other packages can now be shipped with
the current xulrunner version.

The latest and greatest require a new xulrunner, that many packages
haven't had the time to be tested against. And with Squeeze frozen, we'll
have to wait for Wheezy. You could ship multiple xulrunner versions, but
then you introduce twice the overhead for the security team.

Long story short, it's give-and-take. Hope that makes sense.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o