Re: Help on porting packages between Debian 5 lenny and Debian 4.0 etch

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58:15PM +0530, Ravi Roy wrote:
> Hi
> Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions ... for
> example a package which exists in debian 5.0 lenny but does not exists
> in debian 4.0 etch and I need the same package in debian 4.0 etch.

Why?  ... anyway
Thanks Osamu for your quick response. My product is running using debian 4.0 etch version in production enviornment and needs bug fix releases from time to time.. though effort is already started to migrate to debian 5.0 lenny.

> Thanks for your pointers in advance!

This may involve some library backports etc ....  so it may not simple.

Few things before trying it yourself.  It may be done.  Check old archive for
backports.
apt line: http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ etch-backports main

If not, you can extend tricks described in "2.7.10. Porting a package to
the stable system" of Debian Reference.
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_porting_a_package_to_the_stable_system
 (This document assumes squeeze is already released since it is meant
 for squeeze release. We need to waitfor it.  But you get the idea.)

It is essentially:
# apt-get update # in sarge
# apt-get install fakeroot devscripts build-essential
$ apt-get build-dep foo # this is from lenny
$ apt-get source foo
$ cd foo*

Some basic packaging skill is needed.  So read old (lenny) version and
new (squeeze) version of maint-guide.  Newest vesion on the is on the
web:
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

If all these are too much, hire some one if it is for your work.  If it s your
privte system, think about upgrading to lenny.

I have to start it reading and trying out the things.. thanks for your help.

Regards
-RR

Osamu