Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

 On 11/09/10 22:13, John Lindsay wrote:
> John Lindsay wrote:
>> I just picked up an Iomega 2TB external USB drive. It is formatted
>> NTSF. When plugged into my Win7 pc it is seen however it does not
>> show up on screen under Debian (lenny). Is this drive supported? How
>> can I get it seen by debian?
>>
>> John
>>

> Well, success of sorts. I transfered folders from my debian system
> using Ubuntu live just to get something on it. Typed mount in a
> terminal window and it showed the following:
>
> /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
> /dev/hdb on /new-disk type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> /dev/sda1 on /mnt type vfat (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /home/ve3sjv/Desktop type vfat (rw,uid=1000,gid=100)
>

> It definitely shows the drive is there. Took a look at
> computer-->filesystem-->mnt. It showed all five folders and when a
> folder was opened all files within are present. The folders show up as
> locked folders on the desktop. What I was expecting to see was a drive
> icon to show up on the desktop or at the very least show up as a
> 'named drive' under the 'computer' icon on the screen or under Places
> in the toolbar. My usb stick shows up as a named drive when installed.
> My 10G drive that I put into a USb  external enclosure shows up as a
> named drive on the desktop --
>
> The saga continues.
>
> John

Hi John,
            are you having a private chat with yourself - or can any one
join in? :-D

What does
#dpkg --get-selections | grep ntfs-3g
give you?

A little more information about your "debian" might be helpful... :-)
Does it have a desktop? Does the desktop have a name? (xfce, kde, etc.)
What class of processor are you running? (i386, amd64 etc.)
Which "debian"? (lenny, sid, the one on my computer, etc.)

Cheers