Re: Occasional random cursor movement while typing

 On 9/10/2010 10:07 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:19:34 -0500
"Elmer E. Dow"<elmeredow@att.net>  dijo:

What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did I
bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse.
I was plagued with the same thing. I finally found relief when I went
into the BIOS and disabled the touchpad. I use a bluetooth mouse
normally, but I left the trackpoint enabled in the BIOS for just in
case the mouse batteries die or something.

I know you are sure you have not touched the touchpad, but just for
kicks and grins, disable the touchpad in the BIOS and see what happens.

In PcLOs, there's a setup where you can disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in to the USB port. It's based around a synaptiks package. I did not see the same thing in Debian Squeeze, altho there is a setup that (supposedly) disables the touchpad while you are typing. In a very quick look, I thought it didn't have enough delay to be really useful. That is, the millisecond after you hit the last key, the pad is active again. Perhaps there is a way to get that synaptics package into Debian and use it. It works nicely--I'm using it right now. Since PcLOs uses KDE 4.4.5 (this version, anyway) and Debian uses Gnome, that may be why the capability is missing.
--doug