Occasional random cursor movement while typing

When typing on my laptop, occasionally my cursor will skip back (up) a few lines and I'll be entering text in the midst of text previously entered. Sometimes I can't reproduce it, but this morning when typing the word "we're" the cursor would jump up about three lines when I hit the apostrophe (single quote " ' ") key. I deleted the text I accidentally entered because of the problem, then retyped the word and the cursor again jumped back to that same spot. It repeated three or for times, then began to act normally.

It happened again typing this e-mail message. I was typing the word "typing" and the cursor jumped up a couple of lines and started entering text in the midst of the word "text."

What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did I bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse. I'm not accidentally hitting the wrong key. The embedded 10-key pad isn't activated and the keys in question aren't on that part of the keyboard anyway. The machine in question is an IBM R40 laptop running Lenny. I have a triple-boot system: two versions of Debian (I'm in Lenny now) and WinXP. I don't r(it just jumped down the page two lines and to the left)ecall it happening in XP, but I only use XP a few times per year. I think that it happens in the other version of Debian (I think I've got Sarge there). I'm assuming that this is not a keyboard issue. If it were, I would think that the key would either enter properly or not, rather than enter an improper character. Or is it a CPU going nuts? Is it (just did it again when I typed the "t" in the previous word) a problem with X or a the driver for the keyboard, mouse, etc.? This has been happening for months. It's weird and frustrating. How can I diagnose this?

Elmer E. Dow