Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

On 9/8/2010 2:01 AM, Phil Requirements wrote:
On 2010-09-07 22:44:27 -0400, Doug wrote:
/snip/

Doug,

It is very much possible to input foreign characters in GNU/Linux.
And it's easier than in Windows, though it is *different*.

Like you, I was accustomed to the Windows way of inputting special
characters. There were several special characters that I always input
with 3- or 4-digit codes. ALT+0161, ALT+0181, and ALT+0191 to name a
few.

Let's say I want an upside down exclamation mark, so I can write ¡Ay
de mi! In Windows, you would do something like ALT+0161.

In GNU/Linux, I hit the "Compose Key", then "!", then "!".

Let's say I want to type mu, so that it looks like this: µ.
In Linux, I hit the "Compose Key", then "m", then "u".

GNU/Linux has an *improved* method of inputting these special
characters.  In Windows, you have to memorize these four digit codes
that don't mean anything. In GNU/Linux, I memorize two-letter codes
that actually hint at the meaning.

!! -->  ¡
mu -->  µ
c| -->  ¢
e= -->  €
Y= -->  ¥
ss -->  ß

The thing that worked for me was:

     1. Set up a "Compose Key" (plenty of tutorials online)
     2. Learn the simple logical two-letter codes (plenty of docs online)

You may already have a "Compose Key" set up, I wouldn't know.  I had
to set mine up manually. Getting that done is the hardest
part. Learning the codes is easy because they are all common sense.

There might be some other ways to get the function you want, but I
wanted to tell you what worked for me.

I don't know any way to use the actual 4-digit codes that one can use
in Windows. In my opinion, the GNU/Linux method is better.

If you get this working, it will work in a terminal, in a browser, in
KWrite, or whatever else you can think of.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Your input is very clear and helpful. I have found a chart of compose key functions, and it looks quite useful. Maybe there's even a way to make Windows use that system!

I have been doing a lot of research since this whole topic came up, and
I think I know how to make my right ALT key a compose key--in Linux, anyway--but I had the impression that sometimes you need an AltGr key--I forget what for--and apparently that's what the right ALT key does. (I may very well be wrong!)

On the IBM k/b, there's also an extra - key on the number pad, that I never use. That could be an AltGr or a compose.

I am using Linux (PcLOs on a desktop with an old IBM k/b) and a laptop
with a single Microsoft key on the left of the space bar for PcLOs and
Debian. I would never give up the IBM k/b's I have on this and the Linux desktop machines. At this point I am open to suggestions, both for the desktop Linux machine and the laptop, which runs XP and the two
Linux distros.

Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley