Re: detect ethernet card?

On Thursday 09 September 2010 10:42:16 pm you wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:13:40PM +0200, Atu wrote:
> > Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested with
> > another computer). I want to add network functionality to my lenny-PC,
> > but I can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
> >
> > #ifup eth0
> > [...]
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > Bind socket to interface: No such device
> > Failed to bring up eth0.
> > #
> >
> > lspci -v sees the ethernet chip on the mainboard though. At least it
> > tells me the precise model number. I can load the kernel module ("e1000")
> > for this ethernet chip or not, the error message stays the same.
>
> It would be helpful to post the output of lspci -v (at least the part
> with the ethernet chip information) and lsmod (so we can see what
> modules are loaded).

I was afraid someone would ask. Since there's no internet on the PC, I'll have to type it all. Here goes (lspci -v):

00.19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connect
ion (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computers Device 1144
	Memory at fc200000 (32-bit, non-prefecchable) [size=120K]
	Memory at fc200000 (32-bit, non-prefecchable) [size=4K]
	I/O ports at 1820 (size=32)
	Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64 bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
	Capabilities: [e0] PCIe advanced features <?>

As for lsmod, I don't have a screenshot to type here, but anyway it was a pretty long list, and I didn't see anything related to eth0. I noticed that e1000 (which I believe is the driver for this thing) is not loaded automatically, but whether that is loaded manually (modprobe e1000) or not, or e1000e instead, makes no difference to my problem.
If it is really important, I'll go back in a few hours and type the output of lsmod also.