Re: detect ethernet card?

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:13:40PM +0200, Atu wrote:

> Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested with
> another computer). I want to add network functionality to my lenny-PC, but I
> can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
>
> #ifup eth0
> [...]
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Bind socket to interface: No such device
> Failed to bring up eth0.
> #
>
> lspci -v sees the ethernet chip on the mainboard though. At least it tells me
> the precise model number. I can load the kernel module ("e1000") for this
> ethernet chip or not, the error message stays the same.

It would be helpful to post the output of lspci -v (at least the part
with the ethernet chip information) and lsmod (so we can see what
modules are loaded).

--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?