Confusion with Package Name

Hi,

I am learning how to write Module and Compile the Kernel.
http://www.linux.com/learn/linux-career-center/23685-the-kernel-newbie-corner-your-first-loadable-kernel-module

For that I need certain packages, I know about "build-essentials", "module-init-tools".
The author mentions "kernel-devel"in Fedora, what is the equivalent one in Debian?
If at any time I want to search if a package is present in Debian or not, how do I search for it?
as eg. Software called ABCB, has Debian package name abc.deb.
How do I get to know that ABCB is named abc.deb   ?
BTW i am using Debian 5.0.5, with 2.6.26-2-686.

Thanking you,
Prakhar Gaur