Re: Prohibit apt caching

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:10:54 +0800
Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to completely prevent apt(itude) from caching
> downloaded package files? I'm working on a system with 512MB of disk
> space, so the 60-100MB of cache files is a huge chunk out of this.
>
> I know about the "clean" command, but I don't want to have to do it
> manually every time. I know that there's a cron job that can be
> configured with a cache size of zero, but I want the cached packages
> removed as soon as they are installed, not a day later.
>
> Is this possible to configure?

If your main goal is to avoid having to do manual cleans, you should
find aptitude's --[auto]clean-on-startup command line options helpful
(see the man page).  There's also the AutoClean-After-Update option,
which can be set from within interactive mode, or within the config
files, but there doesn't seem to be a simple "Clean" version (at least,
it's not documented).

Celejar