Re: How can I create a FAT32 or NTFS FS

On Lu, 06 sep 10, 20:59:00, Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:32:12 +0300
> > Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You are probably missing the packages dosfstools and ntfsprogs. They are
> > > both 'Suggested' by gparted, but not 'Recommended' because most
> > > GNU/Linux users should not need them.
> >
> > I suppose that's debatable.  I never touch Windows unless I have to,
> > but I do often need to sneaker-net files between my Debian system and
> > other Windows systems via USB flash drive, which therefore must be
> > manipulated via dosfstools ...
>
> dosfstools, libfuse2, ntfs-3g, and ntfsprogs are pretty much essential to
> have full Windows file compatibility for copying/sharing functions, at least
> in my experience.

Please note the use of "should" vs. "do" ;) and also, I was just trying
to point out that interesting packages can be found in the Suggests of a
package.

I agree with the importance of ntfs-3g, especially since the kernel
driver is not likely to replace it soon, but whether it's actually
necessary to create any more NTFS partitions is indeed debatable :)

Regards,
Andrei