Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive

I did it again; sending a reply to the sender rather than the group -- hopefully I will be more careful in future --

Bob Proulx wrote:
John Lindsay wrote:
I just picked up an Iomega 2TB external USB drive. It is formatted
NTSF. When plugged into my Win7 pc it is seen however it does not
show up on screen under Debian (lenny). Is this drive supported? How
can I get it seen by debian?

You need to be more specific in your question.  "Seen" is such a
terrible word in a technical sense.  For me that would mean that the
kernel's usb module detected it and logged it to /var/log/syslog.
Please look at the activity in /var/log/syslog and report what is
happening when you insert or remove the usb device.
You're right. Seen is a terrible 'technical' word. I should have said 'no drive icon appears as it does when I install a 32g memory stick'.

But I imagine that you are using a GNOME desktop environment (or a KDE
desktop environment) and no icon is appearing on your desktop after
plugging it in?  Is that what is happening for you?  Unfortunately
with those it all depends upon what packages you have installed.
(Personally I despise those types of "happy" extras and disable them
on my machine so I won't be much help for you but at least it will
identify the problem.)  It doesn't mean that your machine isn't
"seeing" the usb device.

Do you have gnome-mount installed?

  $ dpkg -l gnome-mount

This is what shows up when I 'dpkg -l gnome-mount'. It looks like it is installed. Whether that is the latest version or not -- haven't check that out yet.

| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
+++-==============-==============-============================================ ii gnome-mount 0.7-2 wrapper for (un)mounting and ejecting storag
ve3sjv@tux-net:~$

  $ cat /proc/partitions
This is with the drive disconnected

major minor  #blocks  name

 3     0   78125000 hda
 3     1   75473338 hda1
 3     2    2650725 hda2
 3    64  120060864 hdb

This is with the drive connected---

major minor  #blocks  name

 3     0   78125000 hda
 3     1   75473338 hda1
 3     2    2650725 hda2
 3    64  120060864 hdb
 8     0 1953514584 sda
 8     1 1953512001 sda1

So it is there. I just cannot see an icon or access the drive. I don't know much about accessing drives from the command line and what little I know gets me into a lot of 'trouble' especially if I screw up the email (which I have done in the past and 'she who must be obeyed' was not to impressed!!!

  $ less /var/log/syslog

Observing any differences will be clues to what is happening.

Bob

I did the last statement and there is way too much information for my ancient brain to make heads or tales over!!! What information am I looking for in this syslog? Is it at the beginning or end?

John