RE: Upgrade of squeeze hangs on apt (0.7.26~exp3)

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 12:44:45 -0400 <brownh@historicalmaterialism.info> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> I thought I had directed my question to the debian-user newsgroup, but
> received a personal reply from you and my query did not show up in the
> news group. A mystery. Maybe I sent the message to you by accident.
>
> In any case, I appreciate very much your telling me to use "q" to
> bypass the hang in the upgrade command, and my upgrade for the newly
> installed sqeeze proceeded normally.
>
> One problem came up. Besides the upgrade, I installed a different
> kernel image, and it seems the upgrade command also upgraded it and
> grub i.a. However, during the upgrade process, a grub-configuration
> dialog came up telling me that the old grub had been unable to find
> the kernel image or the device had changed its id (this I knew because
> I could not directly boot). I was asked whether I wanted grub intalled
> on /, /sda1, or /sda5. I was warned that installing it on a partition
> instead of the MBR might cause unreliability.
>
> I acted too quickly and choose /sda1 because that is where my /boot
> partition is located, and that's where I always put grub. So I checked
> the /sda1 partition (/boot). Now I realize that I probably did the
> wrong thing, and should have gone into MBR. I can only guess that if I
> had not selected any of the partitions, it would have gone into MBR
> automatically.
>
> Is this so? Should I have not checked any partition to have grub
> installed in the MBR? Do you know how I can correct the error? Maybe
> purge grub2 (or grub-pc) package and reinstall it, so that hopefully
> the dialog will pop up again, and this time leave all partitions
> unchecked?

I am sorry to about the grub2 issue. You can be represented with the options I believe you are referring (as well as with the attached screen-shot) by running dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc on a terminal as root or by using the sudo command.

As for the apt issue, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr explained it better, but he basically confirmed that pressing the 'q' key is the correct course of action for that issue.

-M