Re: Can start X once but no more

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:53:04 -0400 (EDT), Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Following up with
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/389399
>
> I have exactly the same symptom:
>
> I can start X once.
> After killing or quitting it once, it won't start again.
>
> I've posted my /var/log/Xorg.0.log to
> http://paste.debian.net/87848/
> (got rejected several time due it is over size).
>
> Seems to me there is nothing special to pay attention to [1].
>
> Anyone can help with my case?
>
> $ uname -rm
> 2.6.33-grml64 x86_64

I also use the nv driver, and I can start the X server multiple
times, but usually not without manual intervention.  What usually
happens is that the old session only partially dies.  The new
session tries to grab vt 7, but finds it unavailable for allocation;
so it allocates vt 8.  If I switch to a text console with, say,
Ctrl+Alt+F1, then if I attempt to switch back to X with Alt+F7, I see
a black screen.  But if I use Alt+F8 instead, I get back to X.
Multiple restarts can force the use of higher numbered vts.
I have to jump through some hoops to get the X server back on vt 7.
I usually just reboot because it's easier, but it is possible to
do it without rebooting.

I can't use the nouveau driver because it doesn't support interlaced
video modes, which the CRT monitor that I'm using needs to use in order
to get perceived flicker down to an acceptable level.

If you have your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
configured to force the use of vt 7, this could explain it.
Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :