Re: Re (2): Linux hub

Hi:

On Sunday 05 September 2010 17:14:34 peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Date:	Sun, 05 Sep 2010 09:08:04 +0300
>
> > AFAICT, what you ask for is a gateway/router. Here is a very short
> > tutorial: ...
>
> Thanks.  http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html shows that dalton
> and joule have been performing this function for some time; years
> in fact.  The question of the previous message about hub or switch
> was asked with the intention of adding the specific capability of
> transmitting communication of carnot through dalton rather than
> through the Allied Telesis 3612TR.

There's neither "carnot" nor "Allied Telesis 3612TR" in your provided diagram
so it's a bit difficult to follow you.  It would be better if you provided a
complete an up-to-date diagram.

Anyway, I'll try to make use of my crystal ball:

* The ISP you connect dalton to has given you control of the public network
142.103.107.128/25 or at least has given you some IP addresses on that range,
right?
* dalton's eth0 is configured with the public IP 142.103.107.137/25, right?
* carnot's eth0 is configured with the public IP 142.103.107.138/25, right?
* You expect carnot's eth0 being connected to dalton's eth1 by means of a
crossover cable, right?

If all my previous assumptions are right, then you need to configure an IP
bridge between dalton's eth0 and eth1.  That's all.

In dalton's /etc/network/interfaces something along the following lines should
do the trick (you should delete other ethN stanzas -you'll readd your VPN and
other networks later, once you know your bridge is working properly, and
you'd better have physical access to dalton since probably you'll need more
than a try -oh, and make sure the iproute and bridge-utils packages are
installed):

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address 142.103.107.137