Re: Can start X once but no more

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 17:41:34 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I also use the nv driver, and I can start the X server multiple times,
> but usually not without manual intervention.  What usually happens is
> that the old session only partially dies.  The new session tries to grab
> vt 7, but finds it unavailable for allocation; so it allocates vt 8.  If
> I switch to a text console with, say, Ctrl+Alt+F1, then if I attempt to
> switch back to X with Alt+F7, I see a black screen.  But if I use Alt+F8
> instead, I get back to X. Multiple restarts can force the use of higher
> numbered vts.

YES! that's *exactly* the symptom that I'm experiencing.

> I have to jump through some hoops to get the X server back
> on vt 7. I usually just reboot because it's easier, but it is possible
> to do it without rebooting.

I don't mind jumping through some hoops to get the X to start at VT 7. I
want to avoid rebooting as much as possible. How were you able to do that?

> I can't use the nouveau driver . . .

Me neither, the nouveau driver caused loads of problems for me so I have
to revert to the old nv driver after the xorg upgrade.

> If you have your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file configured to force the use of
> vt 7, this could explain it. Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I can't fix it to VT 7 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file because I have to share
the box with my wife. My wife need to use VT8 from time to time, while I
keep my X session in VT7 for days/weeks/months.

I use the startx command line parameter, ie,

 startx -- :0

to force x to start in VT 7, but still, it can't start X in VT7, but in
VT8 instead.

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)