Re: Now Lost Boot Dir/2.6.34 Will Not Boot

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 15:18:40 -0400 (EDT), David Baron wrote:

> Using the Debian rescue CD, I installed the linux-image-2.6.32-5 and linux-
> base from Sid.
>
> The install edited my fstab and lilo.conf files for me, putting in the UUID
> numbers for everything except lilo.conf boot=. I left that as-is /dev/sda but
> both variations, UUID and ata-ID had previously worked.
>
> Too bad the previous install did not fix this up for me. Might have saved a
> lot of grief, huh?

Yes, that seems to be one weakness of linux-base.  (I think that's the package
that converts the files.)  It doesn't handle the "boot" record of /etc/lilo.conf
properly.  I discovered that the hard way a few months ago.  And that is why
I document the stuff I do in my kernel-building web page.  I thought about
reporting a bug, but I didn't want to give the movers and shakers at Debian
an excuse to pull lilo from the distribution.  It isn't lilo's fault, but
some people I know are looking for an excuse to pull it.

> The initrd (needed most, dep failed) needed to go into "highest memory" with
> scarey warnings but .... it worked.

MODULES=dep usually works, but only if you don't "cross-build" your initial RAM
file systems.  In other words, if you're using MODULES=dep, and you're building
an initial RAM file system image for the 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel, you had better
be *running* the 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel at the time you do the build.  If you're
running any other kernel, there's a good chance that the right drivers won't
be included.  Do you have the "large-memory" option specified in /etc/lilo.conf?
If not, you should.  This will probably eliminate the warnings.

> Thanks for all the help. Debian folks are the best!

You're welcome.  I'm glad I could help.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :