Re: graphics problem on Squeeze w/ GeForce4

On 2010-09-03 21:45 +0200, Rob Owens wrote:

> Running Squeeze on my wife's laptop gives horrible graphics performance
> (vertical lines all over the place, and a very fuzzy mouse pointer).
>
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti
> 4200 Go AGP 8x] (rev a1)

Please file a bug against the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package.

> The currently-installed Ubuntu 8.04 works fine.  Lenny on a live usb
> works fine.  Squeeze and Ubuntu 10.04 on live usb both show similar
> problems with the graphics.
>
> Some preliminary research suggested that booting with "nomodeset" might
> fix it.  It made a difference, but didn't fix the problem.  On Ubuntu
> 10.04, "nomodeset" fixed the display problems on the bootsplash, but not
> on GDM or the logged-in desktop.  On Squeeze no difference was noted,
> but it doesn't use a boot splash.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

Not really, but you can work around this.  First, blacklist the nouveau
kernel module:

# echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

Second, create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf with these lines:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"n"
	Driver		"nv"
EndSection

Third, reboot.  The laptop will use the nv driver, like in Lenny and
Ubuntu 8.04.

In Ubuntu 10.04 and Squeeze the nouveau driver, a reverse-engineered
driver is used by default.  It should work better than nv for most
people (at least it does for me), but gives grief on some old cards,
especially on laptops.  Those mobile chips seem to be a bit special, and
it is also difficult for the nouveau developers to get their hands on
them.  Desktop cards are much easier to obtain.

Sven