Re: graphics problem on Squeeze w/ GeForce4

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
Running Squeeze on my wife's laptop gives horrible graphics performance
(vertical lines all over the place, and a very fuzzy mouse pointer).

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti
4200 Go AGP 8x] (rev a1)

The currently-installed Ubuntu 8.04 works fine.  Lenny on a live usb
works fine.  Squeeze and Ubuntu 10.04 on live usb both show similar
problems with the graphics.

Some preliminary research suggested that booting with "nomodeset" might
fix it.  It made a difference, but didn't fix the problem.  On Ubuntu
10.04, "nomodeset" fixed the display problems on the bootsplash, but not
on GDM or the logged-in desktop.  On Squeeze no difference was noted,
but it doesn't use a boot splash.

Have you tried the nVidia binary driver/kernel?  I have used the same graphics card (less the Ti) in a Latitude D800 running Lenny without the nVidia driver and it worked okay, for what it's worth.