Re: New kernel-building web page with Nvidia example

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> <SNIP> I welcome
> further review and feedback, especially from those who wanted an Nvidia
> example.  Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?  Or did I miss
> the mark?

Under Introduction: "...recommendation was *make* for simplicity's
sake, not for philosophical reasons." Should be "made".

Under Step 3, you recommend "aptitude full-upgrade", but "aptitude
safe-upgrade" might be preferable for stable systems (i.e., Lenny or
soon Squeeze). safe-upgrade will "install candidate version of
installed packages without removing any other packages " while
full-upgrade will "install candidate version of installed packages
while removing other packages if needed" [1]

Just a thought, since I suspect this document will be something of a
defacto standard referred to by many.

"That's like buying Maxwell House to get a cup of coffee" ... I lol'd.
But seriously, this whole history section on make-kpkg versus official
debian maintainer scripts is very interesting reading.

Under Customizing the Lenny Environment: "When installing a kernel
image package created by make-kpkg, one will be created if the
--initrd option was specified on the make-kpkg command line when the
kernel image package was created" I'm going to be building again
tonight, but IIRC this didn't work for me. That is, I did not specify
the --initrd option on the make-kpkg command, yet one was still
created. I mistakenly then tried to change the make-kpkg.conf to
"do_initrd = no", and it's nice to finally understand why that didn't
work either.

Anywho, I'll be going through it in more detail tonight or tomorrow
when I build new kernel from upstream, but all in all it looks like a
major revision and a significant contribution to the community. Thanks
much for this information!

Best,
AM

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_basic_package_management_operations