Re: New kernel-building web page with Nvidia example

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 12:03:47 -0400 (EDT), Arthur Machlas wrote:

> Under Introduction: "...recommendation was *make* for simplicity's
> sake, not for philosophical reasons." Should be "made".

Good catch!  That's the trouble with spell-checkers.
They can tell you if you misspelled a word, but not if you used the
wrong word.

> Under Step 3, you recommend "aptitude full-upgrade", but "aptitude
> safe-upgrade" might be preferable for stable systems (i.e., Lenny or
> soon Squeeze). safe-upgrade will "install candidate version of
> installed packages without removing any other packages " while
> full-upgrade will "install candidate version of installed packages
> while removing other packages if needed" [1]
>
> Just a thought, since I suspect this document will be something of a
> defacto standard referred to by many.

I've always used full-upgrade, but maybe I live too dangerously.
I should probably mention that as an alternative.  Thanks again.

> "That's like buying Maxwell House to get a cup of coffee" ... I lol'd.

That's an expression one of my old bosses used to use.  It seemed
to fit in this situation.

> Under Customizing the Lenny Environment: "When installing a kernel
> image package created by make-kpkg, one will be created if the
> --initrd option was specified on the make-kpkg command line when the
> kernel image package was created" I'm going to be building again
> tonight, but IIRC this didn't work for me. That is, I did not specify
> the --initrd option on the make-kpkg command, yet one was still
> created. I mistakenly then tried to change the make-kpkg.conf to
> "do_initrd = no", and it's nice to finally understand why that didn't
> work either.

I think you meant kernel-img.conf, not make-kpkg.conf.
But in all honesty, I have not actually tested the scenario you
just described.  I'm pretty sure it's true for Squeeze, but perhaps
not for Lenny.  Let me know how it goes.

> Anywho, I'll be going through it in more detail tonight or tomorrow
> when I build new kernel from upstream, but all in all it looks like a
> major revision and a significant contribution to the community. Thanks
> much for this information!

You're welcome.  I hope others will find it useful.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :