Re: What is the best way to migrate a server to new hardware?

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> I like the dpkg method myself. Of course this won't help if you have lots of custom conf file in etc.
>
> In that case, creating a tarball of etc would remedy that.
>
> Clonezilla is another option I like if you want an exact duplicate (I have used both methods and its a toss up for me what is the better solution)

Thanks, I can  use a 'tar ball copy' in Debian without problems?
Here's what I did in Gentoo, will this work in Debian. Is there
another recommended way to tar and move an OS?

# rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host*
# rm -iv /etc/resolv.conf
# tar cvjfp /mnt/usb/stage4.tar.bz2 / -X debian.excl

# cat debian.excl
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
/home/*
/mnt/*