Re: What is the best way to migrate a server to new hardware?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:01:42 +0200
Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> > I like the dpkg method myself. Of course this won't help if you
> > have lots of custom conf file in etc.
> >
> > In that case, creating a tarball of etc would remedy that.
> >
> > Clonezilla is another option I like if you want an exact duplicate
> > (I have used both methods and its a toss up for me what is the
> > better solution)
>
> Thanks, I can  use a 'tar ball copy' in Debian without problems?
> Here's what I did in Gentoo, will this work in Debian. Is there
> another recommended way to tar and move an OS?
>
> # rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host*
> # rm -iv /etc/resolv.conf
> # tar cvjfp /mnt/usb/stage4.tar.bz2 / -X debian.excl
>
> # cat debian.excl
> /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
> /home/*
> /mnt/*
> /media/*
> /lost+found
> /proc/*
> /sys/*
> /tmp/*
> /var/tmp/*

Here's one way that I would do this:

On the new box:
Install Debian per normal.

Old Box:
#sudo dpkg --get-selections "*" >> installed_packages.txt
copy the file, installed_packages.txt to the new box

On Newly install Debian:
#sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed_packages.txt
#sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

This will read the file installed_packages.txt
and will install these into the new Debian system.

Once that's up to date, take your tarball of /etc from the old box,
dump it to a temp dir in the new, decompress it, copy the .conf files
that you modified (and any other dirs/files you yourself have created
to /etc on the new box.

This method has a little work to be done (and thank you Howtoforge for
the nifty little trick) but works pretty well for my needs.

This same process will work for a workstation also. Then again,
Clonezilla (again, one that I use often when I want to archive my
system and need to restore on the same hardware at any given point)
should work also.

But as others have pointed out, there are many ways to do this. You
just need to blaze your own path and see what works best for you.

--
Best regards,

Chris
1AB5FEF8