Re: Can't acquire dchp lease while Windows can

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:10:19 +0200, Alain Baeckeroot wrote:

First of all,

> If it is at work, it is very likely that your are NOT allowed to do what
>  you want . . .

No, this is school environment. Open dchp to all. As I said, wired
network not work, but wireless network works. Same machine, same Linux.
So we can tell that it is definitely not a policy issues.

>> > What might be the problem that my laptop can't acquire dchp lease
>> > from Linux while Windows can?
>> >
>> > Same spot, same line. Tried two different distros that had no problem
>> > acquiring dchp lease at my home, neither works. Wired network, not
>> > wireless, but wireless network works.
>> >
>> > What might be the reason? Might the network require IPX to acquire
>> > dchp lease or using wins services? -- just making wild guesses here.
>>
>> Is this a dual-boot machine? The DHCP server might ignore unknown MACs.
>> Are you sending a hostname? AFAIR dhclient is not sending one by
>> default and maybe the DHCP server is ignoring unknown hostnames as
>> well.

Yes, this a dual-boot machine. So same machine, same MACs, same spot,
same line. Only difference is the OS, which they do have different
hostnames though. But I don't think the hostnames are the problem. Please
don't think something complicated, they are far far not that advanced.

> or it can be the switch or ....
>
> At least you should provide us more elements (what does work, what does
> not)

The two different distros that I tried had no problem acquiring dchp
lease at my home, neither works at the school. But they both use pumps,
which doesn't give me any clue during negotiation process. Didn't try
other dhcp clients, and didn't tried to setup a static IP either,
although now I think that might work.

To somebody suggested wireshark, thanks but no thanks. If I'm that
advanced, I wouldn't ask such generic question here.

Could there be any simpler reasons? Again, they offer an open environment
and their Windows networking techniques are far far not that advance.

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/