Re: Can't acquire dchp lease while Windows can

Le 31/08/2010 à 10:58, Andrei Popescu a écrit :
> On Ma, 31 aug 10, 04:48:36, T o n g wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What might be the problem that my laptop can't acquire dchp lease from
> > Linux while Windows can?
> >
> > Same spot, same line. Tried two different distros that had no problem
> > acquiring dchp lease at my home, neither works. Wired network, not
> > wireless, but wireless network works.
> >
> > What might be the reason? Might the network require IPX to acquire dchp
> > lease or using wins services? -- just making wild guesses here.
>
> Is this a dual-boot machine? The DHCP server might ignore unknown MACs.
> Are you sending a hostname? AFAIR dhclient is not sending one by default
> and maybe the DHCP server is ignoring unknown hostnames as well.

or it can be the switch or ....

At least you should provide us more elements (what does work, what does not)

If it is at work, it is very likely that your are NOT allowed to do what
 you want on your computer and on the network, so you should really ask
 an admin (not to speak of the time spent, and the security rules you
are probably infringing, and the disorder you can introduce in the
networked with a ill configured machine)

Alain