VPN Linux client

Hi,

How can I use Linux as the client to connect to the remote host through
VPN?

My next potential job line up requires me to use VPN. But due to their
failed demo, I can't give you much more details than that their current
client is windows based, they login to VPN first through web. On the
remote end, it's all *nix based systems. That's about all the details
that I can give.

Anyone here have the same situation like this? How do you prepare you
side?

PS. Searching VPN on google, most hits are about building VPN, eg.

VPN HOWTO
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO/

whereas I just want to use it.

Please help.