Re: Now lost boot dir

Progress: Using Debian Live rescue, was able to mount my volumes, reinstall the kernel, run update-initramfs and lilo. (Only thing lost was the debian.bmp which looked gosh-awful on my screen anyway--works without it.)

Results, back to where I was:  2.6.34 Will Not Boot. It loads up, begins the process and then panics out with "cannot find root device sdb2" (my root partition), offers no alternatives (2.6.32 did once offer a list of parititons on the previous computer where this problem started but the could not find the hdb2 it should have found!). Since, without that bitmap, I have a type-in menu on bootup, I tried stuff like "2.6.34 append "root=/dev/sdb2"" and variations of that to no avail.

So: How do I fix this thing, step-by-step? The 2.6.34 was compiled with the newer PATA/SATA driver so  will create sdb's rather than hdb's (I would have no objection going back to 2.6.32 and the hdb's if this be than answer but that did not either before on this system).

In any event, all my volumes are intact and I can offload to a new disk if I so choose and restart from there but it would seem it should make no difference.