Re: Verbatim 1TB external HDD

Lisi:

> I have been asked to set this HDD up as a backup device on a Lenny system.  It
> will primarily be used for photographs and personal files.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B0017422EA

The exact type of disk is irrelevant to your task. And, btw, the link
doesn't even mention what disk is in the enclosure. The limiting factor
is the USB connection, but that's probably ok for your usage.

> It is currently formatted "To" and FAT32.
>
> What would people recommend in this situation?  Reformat or use FAT32?

Unless you plan to access the disk from other operating systems, use the
same filesystem that you use for the rest of your system. Ext3 is
probably a good choice.

> And if reformat, to what?  I think that his slightly aged computer
> would probably blow a gasket if asked to use ext4, so am wondering
> about ext3.

What makes you think ext4 needs a better computer than ext3? The problem
regarding ext4 may just be that the operating system is too old to
support it properly.

> As of now, I am intending to clone (dd?  Clonezilla?) the internal HDD onto it

When dd'ing the complete internal hdd, you will copy the partition table
as well. That's not necessarily a problem, but you will end up with
unpartitioned space. (Assuming the new disk is larger than the current
one.)

> and then show the user how to copy and paste new files onto it as he goes
> along, with me syncing the whole thing periodically.  Since I will not be
> there most of the time, this strikes me as simple and workable.  But anacron
> may also be a possibility.

Yes, just setup a cron job that uses rsync or unison.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]