Re: module-assistant not detecting kernel headers

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:12:35 -0400
"Anticept ." <anticept@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using a custom built kernel that I've created with make-kpkg using
> the debian kernel source, and I've also created and installed
> kernel-source and kernel-headers with that same utility.
>
> I need to rebuild the alsa modules to include the module called
> "aloop," which isn't included in the stock kernel, and I can't find it
> in my custom kernel either.
>
> I've tried using the m-a utility, but it keeps saying it cannot find
> my kernel's headers. I've used "m-a prepare" which created the
> symlink, but it still cannot find the headers. The symlink is fine, it
> links to my kernel headers in /usr/src. I figured this won't really
> work anyways as aloop was not one of the modules listed in the m-a
> utility for alsa anyways, but I'd still like to know why m-a can't
> find my headers.
>
> I've also tried grabbing the alsa-driver-1.0.23.tar.bz2 from the alsa
> project, and build and installed it according to
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
> . The only thing I did differently is that i used --with-cards=all:
>
> ./configure --with-cards=all --with-oss=yes --with-sequencer=yes
>
> However, when I tried to "sudo modprobe snd-aloop", it said something
> about unknown symbol in aloop.ko(?) (i had since rebooted and had to
> purge and reinstall the kernel because the kernel wouldn't even load).
>
> I need to get that aloop module built and loaded to try and create the
> Alsa to Jack bridge. Any suggestions?
>
> Much appreciated in advance!

Hey there,

I would check the "/lib/modules/<kernel version>/build" symlink

Make sure its pointing to "/usr/src/linux-headers-<kernel version>"

I have had some problems with stuff not being about to find k-headers
due to this.

Regards,

Angus