Re: From Console to GUI

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 09:20:50AM +0200, Jangita wrote:
> 1. For GUI: I've chosen GNome, any reason why I should choose
> otherwise?

Experiment until you find the one you like most.  If you like Gnome,
stick with it.

> 2. Email:  I've seen evolution, but I'm leaning towards
> thunderbird... good or bad choice? any other email clients I should
> consider?

I am using mutt with procmail and imap even in a GUI environment.   I
have worked with both Icedove(Thunderbird) and Evolution, but I can
handle lots of email a lot faster and more effectively with mutt.  The
only advantage the gui-email clients have is when I receive email with
more than one picture.

> 3. Programming: For my programming I've seen evolution to be the
> best, I could practically code everything in evolution using the
> plugins, one problem though - do I get a WYSIWYG plugin/editor for
> my HTML pages (might be for the evolution mailing list but just wnat
> to see what guys use here)

I use emacs.  For html-editing you can look at bluefish or compozer if
you do not like emacs.

> 7. Office Suite - I'll go for openoffice (any better alternatives?)

I prefer gnumeric before Openoffice´s Calc but both are good.  At this
stage gnumeric can handle larger spreadsheets than Openoffice.

Abiword feels quicker to me than Openoffice when I have to open word
processing documents.

But there are stuff that Openoffice handles better than Abiword.

When creating documents I use emacs + LaTeX.

> 8. Any alternative for adobe fireworks?

Gimp?

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain
      salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us,
      that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live
      together with him."
                         I Thessalonians 5:9,10