module-assistant not detecting kernel headers

I'm using a custom built kernel that I've created with make-kpkg using
the debian kernel source, and I've also created and installed
kernel-source and kernel-headers with that same utility.

I need to rebuild the alsa modules to include the module called
"aloop," which isn't included in the stock kernel, and I can't find it
in my custom kernel either.

I've tried using the m-a utility, but it keeps saying it cannot find
my kernel's headers. I've used "m-a prepare" which created the
symlink, but it still cannot find the headers. The symlink is fine, it
links to my kernel headers in /usr/src. I figured this won't really
work anyways as aloop was not one of the modules listed in the m-a
utility for alsa anyways, but I'd still like to know why m-a can't
find my headers.

I've also tried grabbing the alsa-driver-1.0.23.tar.bz2 from the alsa
project, and build and installed it according to
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
. The only thing I did differently is that i used --with-cards=all:

./configure --with-cards=all --with-oss=yes --with-sequencer=yes

However, when I tried to "sudo modprobe snd-aloop", it said something
about unknown symbol in aloop.ko(?) (i had since rebooted and had to
purge and reinstall the kernel because the kernel wouldn't even load).

I need to get that aloop module built and loaded to try and create the
Alsa to Jack bridge. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated in advance!