Re: gdm crashes unexpectedly every now and then

Camaleon -- I've looked at several of the Xorg.#.log and Xorg.#.log.old files, and no error is reported there.  All that I can see, in fact, appears to be startup information, not real log information (no datestamps are present, for example).  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Bob -- I followed your procedure, and it indicates that there are no "vga=" clauses in the command line which invokes my kernel:

quarkpt@tibouchina:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/tibouchina-root ro quiet

-PT