Re: Starting KVM with public bridge as normal user

Hi,
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:36:14 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
>>> I cannot acess now to /usr/share/doc/ kvm related directories, but sure
>>> it is documented there
>>
>> . . . Thanks for the point. I'm reading them now.
>
> No, that's way too simple and doesn't cover the KVM public bridge at all.
Seems like you will have to use sudo or root:

>From qemu doc [1]
"  Tap

The tap networking backend makes use of a tap networking device in the
host. It offers very good performance and can be configured to create
virtually any type of network topology. Unfortunately, it requires
configuration of that network topology in the host which tends to be
different depending on the operating system you are using. Generally
speaking, it also requires that you invoke QEMU as root."

>From another qemu-networking related site [2] (exec strace qemu -net
nic -net tap to see TUNSETIFF ioctl call):
"TAP devices are obtained by opening /dev/net/tun and invoking the
TUNSETIFF ioctl(). This is not usually allowed for unpriviledged users
so, in general, only root can use this method. "

I was wrong about adding user to kvm group, sorry

I hope this help

[1] http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#Tap
[2] http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/qemu-networking.html