Re: broken php ?

Erwan David wrote:
> SInce last php5 upgrade I get errors from its crontab (see bug
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593541)
>
> If someone knows a workaround...
>
> Thank you.

If your deduction in that bug report is correct then you could work
around the problem by purging those packages that have been removed
but not purged.

  dpkg -l | grep php5-

If you have something like

  rc  php5-gd        5.3.2-2        GD module for php5

then that package has been installed, removed, but not purged.  You
can see what files are there with -L.

  $ dpkg -L php5-gd

If you are continuing to see gd.so related errors then the problem
should be in one of those files.  This is guesswork.  You would need
to verify this problem since you are experiencing it.

To purge the package and remove all of the conffiles that are
remaining (and purge any configuration that you may have done to the
package too) use:

  # dpkg --purge php5-gd

With the package purged no files from it should be left on your
system.  At that point restart apache and inspect for more errors.

  # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I expect that you will no longer have an error related to gd.so after
that point.  You may need to repeat that with additional package.

Alternatively, if the package is removed but not purged you could
probably install the package again.  That would workaround the error
in the other direction because then the libraries would be available.

Bob